Yes, I saw The Expendables. Yes, it was everything I expected it to be. This is it is completely awesome. Why? Because any opportunity to see an action film that pays tribute to, well, action films in such a cheeky manner is great fun.
1. Star power means everything. In the action film genre, the star makes the movie. The Expendables brings together some of the greatest action stars ever – Sylvester Stallone, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Bruce Willis, and Arnold Schwarzenegger. Throw in Jason Statham, Terry Crews, and Randy Couture and this movie is on star power overload.
2. Schwarzenegger’s brief cameo is the equivalent to an old man being lost on his way to the retirement home. Ever since Arnold became the Governator, I find his presence in anything to be completely hilarious. Throw in a Hawaiian shirt and some serious old man pants and Arnold in The Expendables had me busting out laughing.
3. This movie failed the Bechdel Test . By a lot. But on the plus side, Jason Statham can beat up your abusive ex-boyfriend and his stupid friends in just a few seconds. Therefore, the obvious sadism of this film is easier to ignore.
4. Mickey Rourke makes the movie.. In one scene Rourke is describing his experience during the Bosnian War when he let a woman commit suicide. I’ll call it Rourke’s Citizen Kane moment because that is what it was.
5. Dolph Lundgren, I have missed you. Lundgren has not been in a US theatrical release since 1995 (Johnny Mnemonic). And an action movie without him is a terrible thing to waste.