Last night I asked a simple question on Twitter.
I did not expect for my feed to immediately start blowing up. It was as if Twitter suddenly realized that I’m a long lost Kardashian relation. 31 people responded with more than 65 directors whose body of work they would recommend.
Below are some of my favorite responses to the question. I also created a Storify page that has all the answers (I hope), which you can check out here.
And here are some stats:
- In total, 65 directors were recommended by 31 Tweeps
- Martin Scorsese, Alfred Hitchcock, and Werner Herzog were the most popular recommendations with four votes each.
- Stanley Kubrick and Terrence Malick received three votes.
- Joel and Ethan Coen, Quentin Tarantino, Fritz Lang, Sidney Lumet, Brian de Palma, Christopher Nolan and David Fincher and Paul Thomas Anderson all received two votes.
- Only four female directors were recommended by just two Tweeps: Jane Campion, Sofia Coppola, Kelly Reichardt, and Kathryn Bigelow.
- Directors I was glad to see mentioned: Jane Campion, Kelly Reichardt, Atom Egoyan, John Hughes, Michael Cimino, and Krzysztof Kieślowski.
- Directors I was surprised not see mentioned: Pedro Almodovar, Jean Luc Godard, Michelangelo Antonioni, Ingmar Bergmann, Federico Fellini, and John Huston… to name a few.
- Directors I thought would get more votes: Quentin Tarantino and Steven Spielberg
- My five recommendations: Martin Scorsese, Pedro Almodovar, Werner Herzog, Jane Campion and Ramin Bahrani.