Packed theater? Check. Retro flashbacks? Check. Special effects? Check. Funny, clever dialogue? Check. Massive Spielberg nostalgia? Quadruple check. Best movie of the summer? Definitely.
In Super 8, which grossed $37 million this weekend, a practically unknown cast of kids carries the J.J. Abrams’ sci-fi flashback flick. It is easily the most entertaining, fun movie I have seen in ages. That didn’t stop me from having some ridiculous thoughts as I watched Super 8. Here they are:
1. That Breaking Dawn trailer is most absurd thing I have ever seen. The Super 8 audience does not appreciate how upsetting that wedding invitation is for Jacob. His Native American-teen wolf heart is breaking!
2. Some kid will Google Super 8 mm film stock and be slightly disappointed.
3. The military should never be trusted to deal with alien invasions. Kids carrying around their dead mothers’ lockets, however, should.
4. Well, it sucks to be a black man in the Air Force.
5. The chubby director kid should have a solid career.
6. Elle Fanning is now my favorite Fanning.
7. Coach Taylor should always go rogue.
8. The Smoke Monster left the island? WHAT UNIVERSE IS THIS?!?
9. So Aragog took a vacation. Ohio is a step up from the Forbidden Forest.
10. Simon Camden is the pothead!! Your father will be pissed.
11. This is nothing like ET. I don’t want to cuddle with that thing.
12. How the hell does Ally not like ET? (No seriously, she doesn’t.)
13. I should make a post-modern feminist zombie movie.
14. This movie is great! I wish I had been a 13-year-old boy.
What did you think of Super 8? Are you with me that it is one of the best movies of the year so far? Sound off below.